Wednesday 9 March 2011

Going for Gold!

** The Stadium **
Good afternoon everyone!! Hope you are all well.

A lot of the fun trips around London I've been on since I've lived here and especially since I've started sharing them all with you all on this blog have mainly featured the most well known and traditional London landmarks and tourist spots.

Now, although all of these have been fun and visiting things such as the Tower of London has been great for expanding my knowledge of this fantastic city I was very excited about the trip I took the other day to the ** Olympic Stadium** in Stratford, East London.

It was great to see something so big, new and currently in the process of being built. I am very excited about the Olympics, I would love to attend, maybe if I get my fitness levels up I may even be able to compete? Imagine it, Barry the Elephant, the first ever gold winning Elephant. Unfortunately I think the people competing have long been decided and are well into their training :(. Maybe in 2016.

Whilst visiting the building of the stadium I was also able to soak up a bit of international culture in the form of also seeing the building of the Anish Kapoor structure to commemorate the 2012 Olympics. Click here to see it in better details, as unfortunately it is only in the early stages of construction so I didn't get to see it in all its glory on this particularly trip. It's going to be bigger than the Statue of Liberty though, now that it big!

If you get a chance to go see the Olympic Stadium being built I would highly recommend it, it doesn't cost anything and it's right by the canal, Hackney Marches and Victoria Park. It's so peaceful and relaxing there. I was lucky enough that when I went it was a sunny day, I temporarily forgot I was in London and felt as if I had been transported back to Spain.

Pointing out the start of Anish Kapoor's structure. Not much but I believe I am of the first of many to visit this. Certainly the first elephant anyway.
A map of what the Olympic area will look like. It's going to be huge! Lots of different areas for very different sports and events.

Viewing the stadium from the nearby canal. A highly recommended (by me) viewing spot. I'll be back in the summer along with Tom and Liv for a picnic for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment